If you do not know anything about domain name and Its different types, Then no need to be ashamed or worried about it. You are not the only person who does not know about this thing Just relax because we are here for your help. After reading this article you will learn each and everything about a domain name. TLD, SLD and many more. SO, Not wasting your most time, Take a deep breath and let’s dig in.
What is a domain?
Domain is a serve to identify Internet resources, such as computers, networks, and services, with a text-based label that is easier to memorize than the numerical addresses used in the Internet protocols. A domain may represent entire collections of such resources or individual instances.
A domain contains a group of computers that can be accessed and administered with a common set of rules. For example,
- a company may require all local computers to be networked within the same domain so that each computer can be seen from other computers within the domain or located from a central server. –
- Domain of your website is just like the address of your house, I mean to say that if you are telling someone about the location of your house, you don’t say that, There is a tree in front of my house, There is a cloud in the sky just above my house or something like that. If you said these things. Then the person (whom you are telling the location of your house) will not be able to find your house or even he might though that you are crazy, stupid, Idiot or something like that. So, the address of your house is the only way which leads the Stranger or helped the stranger to find your house. –
- All above discussion is trying you to understand about the importance of the address. Just like the address is the only way to find your house, Domain is the only way to find your website on the internet. It is the domain that helps the Internet to reach or find your website. So, domain help people (Stranger or user) to find or land on your website on Internet .Now, I hope you will understand about domain :).
What is a domain name?
A domain name is a human-friendly address, sometimes called a URL (Uniform Resource Locator) or web address. It was created to make IP, or Internet Protocol, addresses more accessible and easier to remember. An IP address is a string of numbers, much like a phone number, that is assigned to every computer.
People might confuse about domain and domain name, They often though that the domain and domain name are two different things, Actually domain and domain name are the same things.
Domain name contains two words “domain” and “name”. Domain is the address of your website as I discussed above and the name: is the name of your website. Let’s take an example to easily digest it.
- As we know internet crawl or reach our website with the help of the domain of our website. Let’s assume www.alnoorhost.com this whole sentence is the domain of your website which help internet to crawl and specify your website. The word between the “www.” and “.com” is the domain name. Which is “Alnoorhost”. So we understand about the fact that domain name is the word between two commas, which give hints or the name of your website. –
- Let’s take a real life example to make it easy for you,
If you want to purchase a dog, then you went to dog shop not in a cat shop. How can you identify that which shop is selling a dog? That’s right from its name. it means that this shop might appear on the internet as www.abcDogshop.com. This whole sentences is for internet because internet identifies or crawl his shop in this —-._______.—- Manner. If you want to tell your friend about this shop you might say that this shop is located in this (—–) street near this (—–) this place. All these words make a short sentence which specifies the dog shop that your friend easily find it. –
- So, we understand that the Domain name is the name of your website and Domain is the address of your website
In the above diagram you clearly understand about the domain name and also the domain of any website.
Different types of domains
Domains are divided in two major types:
1-TLD (Top Level Domain)
2-SLD (Secondary Level Domain)
tld (tOP LEVEL DOMAIN )
A top-level domain (TLD) is the last segment of the domain. The TLD is the letters immediately following the final dot in an Internet address.
A TLD identifies something about the website associated with it, such as its purpose, the organization that owns it or the geographical area where it originates. Each TLD has a separate registry managed by a designated organization under the direction of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
- The TLD of any website show the location, their organization means which company they are, their country and many other things
- The TLD is also divided into three types:
1- gTLD – Generic Top-Level Domains.
2- sTLD – Sponsored Top-Level Domains
3- ccTLD – Country Code Top-Level Domains.
Generic Top-Level Domains
The entire group of domains that do not have a geographic or country designation is still often referred to by the term generic TLDs. So, we un
derstand that those TLD which do not show the country code is known as GTLD or Generic Top-Level domain. There are 26.3 million generic Top-level domain exist.
Sponsored Top-Level Domain
Sponsored top-level domains (sTLDs) are a type of top-level domain that is distinguished by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). sTLDs are specialized domain extensions that have a sponsor behind them that represents a specific community that the domain will serve. So, we understand that those Top-Level domains which are sponsored by others is called Sponsored TLD For example.
- .aero – sponsored by SITA.
- .asia – sponsored by DotAsia Organization.
- .cat – sponsored by Fundació punt CAT.
- .coop – sponsored by DotCooperation LLC.
- .edu – sponsored by US EDUCAUSE.
- .gov – sponsored by US General Services Administration.
- .int – sponsored by IANA.
Country code Top-Level domain
A country code top-level domain (ccTLD) is an Internet top-level domain generally used or reserved for a country, sovereign state, or dependent territory identified with a country code. So, we understand that those Top-Level domains which contains country codes or generally show country name
are known as Country code Top-Level domains.
As you shown in the pictures these all are Country code Top-level domains.
Second Top-Level Domain
In simple terms, a second level domain is the name just to the left of the domain extension, the .com or . net.
let’s take an example
- In this domain www.alnoorhost.com the second Top-level domain is alnoorhost which is also called as domain name as we discussed above.
I hope after reading all this you are able to answer any question related to domain-TLD-SLD, difference between domain and domain name and also different types of domain name. If you have any confusion related to above topic, inform me in a comment below, I will definitely reply to you as soon as possible! 🙂